Nine Matrics Recognised for Excellence at Gauteng Development Camp - Business Media MAGS

Sunday Times Skills

Nine Matrics Recognised for Excellence at Gauteng Development Camp

SPONSORED: Nine students were honoured as the brightest learners at a Development Camp where Gauteng’s top performing matric learners spent a week of their winter school holidays to improve their proficiency in mathematics, accounting and science.

The period from 25 June to 2 July 2016 was an intense, yet fun, week for the 220 Gauteng learners who were exposed to additional support in mathematics, communication, science, accounting, career guidance and life skills subjects at the Gauteng Thuthuka Camp. On the last day of the camp, SAICA and the GDE congratulated the following nine learners as the top learners at this year’s camp after they achieved top marks for:

• Accounting:

1. Madubeko Derek

2. Leshabane Tsakane and Nlonipho Msibi

• Physical science:

1. Siphiwe Mvulane

2. Tshepiso Tsotetsi

3. Crystal Mbu

•  Mathematics:

1. Mmaphuthi Makgabo

2. Kholofelo Mohale

3. Nomathole Muzikayise

‘We are very proud of these learners as well as all those who attended the camp last week,’ says Gugu Makhanya, SAICA Senior Executive for Transformation. ‘We are also excited to see how they will perform in their final matric exams since our records show that every year our camp learners are on the list of the country’s top matric learners.’

This is an important achievement in light of the fact that the camp, a unique partnership between the GDE and SAICA, seeks to help overcome barriers to transformation within the accountancy profession by improving the educational standards of disadvantaged learners in the province for maths, science and accounting.

Learners attending the camp describe it as a place where they learn a lot and pick up new skills. Skills that the GDE’s Deputy Chief Education Specialist, Mr Naughty Mbanyane, described as essential when addressing learners because ‘our country is running short of skills – we are running short of chartered accountants. […] We are in an economic crisis. Our rand is weak. We now depend on you to make sure those challenges are addressed. To be able to fulfill the positions of big CEOs in big companies that are listed on the JSE we need you there as chartered accountants.’

Mbanyane also revealed that the same shortages are apparent in the medical and engineering sectors and reminded learners that it was now up to them to do their part: “Your teachers can only do 5% of the work, the other 95% is up to you to make sure you shine in your final exams.”

Mbanyane was not the only representative at the event who drove this message home. Guest speaker, philanthropist and serial entrepreneur, Tsepiso Makhubedu added her thoughts through an inspirational speech on believing in your own greatness. She left the group with this message: “Fate is what happens to us, destiny is what we do despite our fate. Make greatness part of your destiny.”

Talk about a fitting tribute to the 2016 camp’s key message: “impossible is nothing”.

You might be interested in these articles?

You might be interested in these articles?