New Courtyard Hotel Waterfall City
The new Courtyard Hotel Waterfall City is set to open in a few weeks, adding 164 rooms and four suites plus conference and event space for up to 120 people and two restaurants to the growing Waterfall City hub in Midrand. The hotel is headed up by opening general manager Brendan Luttig, who was previously general manager of the thriving City Lodge Hotel Fourways, and the kitchens led by new executive chef Keegan Maistry, who has extensive experience in luxury hotels in South Africa and the US. This is the 63rd hotel in the City Lodge Hotel Group (CLHG) and 56th in South Africa.
In phase one, the hotel will open its commercial areas (including the basement, ground floor and ninth floor) plus 84 bedrooms and four suites. The remaining floors and 80 rooms will open in phases, dependent on demand once the hotel is trading and the effect of the lockdown on the next few months. Once given the go ahead, it will take approximately six to eight weeks to complete.
The property has environmentally friendly principles built into it, and CLHG is in the process of receiving its four-star Green Building Council SA certification that will validate the environmental initiatives implemented during the design, construction and procurement phase of this newly built hotel. In order to achieve four stars, one has to demonstrate that best practices were followed to reduce the environmental impact of development through direct and indirect initiatives.
Efficient water and electrical designs were implemented throughout to minimise demand on resources. These include energy efficient lights and appliances as well as intelligent lighting management systems and building monitoring systems. There is an effective automated mechanism for monitoring water consumption data, which is able to perform as a leak detection system.
Courtyard Hotel Waterfall City has also implemented intelligent metering systems and software to consolidate data, that is displayed on permanent screens strategically placed within the foyer to ensure ongoing education and awareness of guests and staff. Data will be available in real time and will display daily, weekly, monthly and yearly energy and water consumption of the building.
In addition, the hotel is within walking distance of the Mall of Africa’s various amenities and is close to the Gautrain bus service and a secure bicycle parking facility, which means the hotel takes advantage of its location within the Waterfall City development to promote the use of sustainable public transport.
Despite the devastating impact of Covid-19 on the tourism and hospitality industry, construction of the new hotel has only been set back four months. In building this striking new property, some 4 095m³ concrete was used, 141tn of reinforcement, 9 865m² of post tensioning reinforcement of slabs, 15 919m² of brickwork, 2 400m² of glazing and 1 558m² of ventilated façade.
- 164 rooms and four suites: spacious, air-conditioned rooms with queen or twin beds; suites have king beds; 16 family rooms with interleading doors
- Secure key access to bedroom floors
- Well-appointed bathrooms
- Mini fridge
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Electronic safe large enough to accommodate a laptop
- Desk with lighting and plugs for easy connectivity
- Television with selected DStv channels and radio stations
- Selected rooms designed to meet the needs of the physically disabled
- Courtyard Ambassador rooming and assisting guests in suites
Facilities and services:
- Two restaurants: The Protea Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner off a sophisticated, contemporary menu and The Highline Restaurant serves trendy, gourmet light meals for lunch and dinner. The beverage offering is sure to please many a discerning visitor.
- Club Lounge: An intimate, special events, private dining or collaborative work space
- Three event areas – Skyrocket, Sugarbush, Mountain Rose – catering for conferencing and banqueting of 40 people each or combined for 120 people
- Elegant Pincushion Boardroom accommodates six people
- Complimentary WiFi
- Co-working space available
- Fitness room
- Swimming pool
- Same-day laundry and dry-cleaning service
- Photocopy services
- 24-hour security and free, secure parking
The hotel is close to the iconic Mall of Africa as well as the Sandton and Midrand CBDs; Gautrain Midrand Station; major highways; various major conference venues including Gallagher Convention Centre, Kyalami International Convention Centre and Netcare Waterfall City Hospital. It is also close to sister property the 149-room City Lodge Hotel Waterfall City.
Chief operating officer Lindiwe Sangweni-Siddo says, “We are excited about the imminent launch of this new hotel, heralding a new era in the Courtyard Hotel brand. There is much that is new with regards to guest experience, as we position the brand to appeal to the more discerning traveller of all ages. Fixtures and finishings are designed to wow guests as they walk through the space, bringing the fresh green outdoors inside and making the most of the light and views.”
She adds, “We continue to navigate the current lockdown restrictions to our business, while maintaining our world class health and hygiene protocols, which have been awarded the World Travel & Tourism Council Safe Travels accreditation. Guests can stay safely at any of our hotels, while travelling for business or leisure. Take a look at the special deals on our website www.clhg.com and book your next trip.”